Pages

Monday, June 4, 2012

Too old for technology...never

I'm trying to pinpoint the moment I got old.  Was it when I turned 30?  I don't think so.  The truth is I don't know.  I know, we are only as old as we feel, right?  Well today, I felt ancient.  Like as old as my parents.  I have always been a lover of technology.  I remember being one of the first to get caller i.d, a digital camera, and the first ipod.  Specifically, I've been a lover of Apple products for as long as I can remember.  I had the bright green version of the first iMac.
I went out and got the iPad 1 (which is outdated now without the Facetime and camera feature).  The list goes on, but you get the idea.
After a much needed yoga class, I got in my car and pulled out my phone to check for messages.  My iphone had turned off and would not turn back on.  When I returned home, I plugged it into the outlet to let it charge, but it wouldn't take the charge.  Shit! It broke! How would I survive the evening without my phone?  I get on the trusty ipad to email the Husband so he doesn't worry.  I set up an appointment with the Apple Genius Bar at 8:00am the following morning.  Must. Get. It. Fixed.  I do love any excuse to go to the Apple store.  I was fully prepared to fork over the cash for a new iphone.  I can't survive another minute without it. 
The early twenty-something Apple genius walks over and introduces himself.  I explain my problem and gives me this Ohh isn't she sweet.  You know the one I'm talking about.  The look that also implies stupidity.  
"Ma'm, have you tried turning the phone on?"
"Oh of course" I reply.
Then I watch a smirk slowly emerge on his face as he turns my phone on by hitting the power button.
"Here, Ma'm.  You need to hold the button down longer, like this.  Now want to do it once yourself?"
Not only is this little Shit addressing me as "Ma'm" (which I consider an insult to women of all ages), he has slowed down his speech. 
I force a smile, thank him and walk out the door with my head in shame. 
I've become that person!  I remember growing up and helping older adults learn to work their DVD players and video recorders thinking how did they not know how to do something so simple.  Now, I am that person!   I will forever love my gadgets, it may just take me a little bit longer to learn how to use them. 

2 comments:

  1. I miss the look of the old iMacs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahaha! Don't worry, even us younger technology lovers have our moments of shame.

    I've done the "is the plug in" mistake a few times.

    ReplyDelete