Pages

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Girls

 (Google images)
I recently subscribed to HBO to catch up on Game of Thrones and more importantly see the show everyone was talking about - GirlsHas anyone had the pleasure of watching it?  I hope so.  It is a raw, superbly written show about girls in their mid-twenties.  During the first few episodes I received messages from friends asking if I was watching and that it reminded them of me.  After the first few episodes premiered I gave into HBO's $15 a month subscription.  Holy Hell.  It was like watching myself in my twenties and more then anything embarrassing that friends remember that part of me.  I hoped the alcohol and whatever else had erased memories, but apparently not.  I particularly relate to the main character Hannah Horvath played by Lena Dunham who also happens to serve as executive producer, director and writer of the show.  
                                                                                     (Google images)
 She has dreams of a life as a successful writer.  She is a train wreck when it comes to men and love.  She desperately wants to be loved and interprets almost every action of her crappy boyfriend as an indication of loveHer boyfriend on the show is a psychopath.  Now, my boyfriend in my early twenties was a schizophrenic (like, seriously diagnosed by and MD), but similar enough if you ask me.   This character was me.   She has normal friends with grown up jobs following the 'right' path as she struggles to pay her rent holding out to finish her novel. The pilot episode starts off with her parents cutting her off.  Don't they want her to succeed?  She can't imagine why they would do something so terrible to her.  She is selfish, insecure, with tunnel vision refusing to see the bigger picture. 
 In addition to the memories this show brings back for me, it is a refreshing reminder of how far I've come from those days.  I'm looking forward to seeing what the rest of the season brings. 

No comments:

Post a Comment