Pages

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Beware: Adoption should not cause years of therapy


It seems everywhere I turn adoption is brought to my attention.  Whether it is the Facebook ads promoting adoption as an option for me, my own experience as an adoptee or somehow brought up in a television show.  My gripe today is with the television shows.  I watched 3 shows last night all bring up adoption as a sappy, struggle.  Okay, for the birth parents, especially the birth mother I totally sympathize.  Giving up your newborn child sounds like one of the hardest things to go through.  Just thinking about giving away my dog to new owners brings tears to my eyes.  However, when it comes to being an adoptee I don't want to hear it.  I am an adoptee and I am here to tell you first hand it is nothing to bitch about.  Sure, I have some crazy ass stories, some might come across sad, but it is nothing to feel pity upon adoptees for (or at least those adopted as babies). Images of little orphan Annie (still one of my favorite musicals) are not an accurate depiction of the process.   I had the privilege of being raised by parents who genuinely, desperately wanted me in their life.  I have participated in my share of therapy and sure here and there stories related to being adopted came up, but for the most part it is a breeze. Do not fall victim to these messages of adoption being full of heartache, remorse and years of therapy.  It is a positive, life experience full of joy and a lifetime of stories.

3 comments:

  1. Sounds like you watched Glee last night. I'm not adopted and I found it offensive!
    My mother-in-law is (actually was, now) adopted. I think her perspective was much like yours seems to be. She was always grateful for her adoptive parents and appreciated the opportunities they gave her.
    Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm still giggling over your farting salesman story. Honestly, in that story, I would be the salesman--my life just seems to go that way. (Only I sure wouldn't have waited for you!)
    I don't know how you didn't laugh out loud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, MIC, are you aware that what you've said below amounts to blasphemy online? I mean, I feel pretty much the same way but have learned how unwelcome the voice of an adoptee who's ok with having been adopted is. In fact, I'm afraid some would say you MUST be delusional (in a fog, that's online adoptee talk), that you can't possibly feel this way. You're just not as in tune with yourself as they are..or just plain thick. Personally I believe you and can relate.

    "However, when it comes to being an adoptee I don't want to hear it. I am an adoptee and I am here to tell you first hand it is nothing to bitch about. Sure, I have some crazy ass stories, some might come across sad, but it is nothing to feel pity upon adoptees for (or at least those adopted as babies). Images of little orphan Annie (still one of my favorite musicals) are not an accurate depiction of the process.I had the privilege of being raised by parents who genuinely, desperately wanted me in their life. I have participated in my share of therapy and sure here and there stories related to being adopted came up, but for the most part it is a breeze. Do not fall victim to these messages of adoption being full of heartache, remorse and years of therapy. It is a positive, life experience full of joy and a lifetime of stories."

    I stopped by after reading your comment at Lost Daughters. I too have always enjoyed pointing out and or joking about not sharing any of my family's crazy genes. When I say family I too am referring to my adoptive family. Looking forward to reading more and cannot believe your mom married your grandfather!! Wow that's a new one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow. No, I had no idea I would be offending others and in no way intended to do so. I am just voicing my opinion on my personal adoption experience. Everyone's story is different and we all deserve to have our own feelings.
    Thanks for stopping by.

    ReplyDelete