Pages

Friday, August 5, 2011

Working out with hamburgers

Age: 23 
Weight:  Approximately 210 lbs

I managed to gain almost 80lbs the year after I graduated from college.  When I looked in the mirror I didn't see the weight, but then come to think of it I did my best to not look in the mirror.  I knew something was up when I turned in my button and zippers for elastic.   Comfortable, stretchy, elastic waistlines were my savior.  Family and friends would try and talk to me about the drastic change in my weight, but their attempt at intervention only made me turn to eat more.  In an attempt to be sly, my Mom got me a gym membership and ten sessions with a personal trainer.  Living in New York City at the time, this was not a cheap gift and I gladly accepted.  My office had a New York Sports Club and I signed up. 

If the gym wasn't convenient I knew I wouldn't go.  Brent was my trainer and new friend.  He was a short, muscular, black man in his late twenties.  After an hour session with Brent, I thought I was going to die.  He had the 210 lb me holding planks for 2 minutes straight, running sprints, and pushing me when I thought my muscles couldn't take anymore.  It was like a live episode of The Biggest Loser.  
Brent would push me to my limit, and attempt to motivate me while  eating a Wendy's hamburger.  Yes, that's right.  He would arrive to our session with a jumbo sized coke, french fries and cheeseburger which he would proceed to eat while he worked out my fat ass. 
With all of the sweating I did with Brent, I lost little to no weight.  I would leave the sessions thinking of where I could score my own burger on my walk home, canceling out my work-out sessions. 

No comments:

Post a Comment